Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I love libraries

I forgive anyone in advance for not reading this and just skipping to the pictures. It's probably what I would do.

I've put off writing about my new job up until now... but here goes. I work for Biblioteca Flor del Saber, a community supported library in our marginalized community called Flor del Campo. From our house I walk up some stairs, over a dirt road, up a windy little alley and down a windy little alley, down another dirt road and then I'm there at the beautiful iron gates of the library - twisted into vines and flowers and pretty things.

My first two months I spent on various projects: I organized the literature section alphabetically and did an inventory of books so that we could find books according to author and also check if we even have said book. The library was originally organized using the Dewey Decimal System, but within each major section the books were in no apparent order (they were actually in order by size, but no order that helps find a particular book). Eventually I hope we can get the whole library organized and inventoried, but the collection has over 4500 hundred books so it will take awhile. My co-workers Ivonne and Carolina and I also work together to put up monthly murals with information about national holidays and people of interest. We also help patrons and attend to requests for homework help. The library is a great resource but unfortunately kind of under-used, so we're also working on ways we can promote the library by hosting community events and doing more school visits.

Yesterday was my first day of teaching English classes - we're offering one free class to youth ages 12 - 18 in the morning and one for adults ages 18 and up in the afternoon, Tuesdays and Thursdays, for six weeks. I forgot how much I love teaching! I procrastinated, of course, on the planning; but I really enjoyed teaching and am looking forward to designing the rest of the course. It's fun to have total teaching freedom and the liberty to direct the class any direction we want to go... I'm going to type up all my lesson plans and materials to hopefully use for future classes.

I love the library. I love how beautiful and quality it is, and the fact that this amazing resource is smack dab in the midst of an impoverished neighborhood, and that kids and adults have access to this wealth of books and a computer lab. The downside is this: the organization that donated the books and materials and got this whole thing going, a private organization called the Reicken Foundation, was based on the wealth of one family. And that family lost most of their money in the market crisis recently, leaving the 50+ libraries they founded in Honduras with hardly any support. My two co-workers haven't been paid since January (that's right... January), and we haven't had Internet service in that long. It's a daily struggle for them to remain motivated as the questions of how they'll pay rent and feed their kids become increasingly difficult and pressing.

As an MCC worker, my rent, food, and all life's necessities are taken care of. I literally have absolutely no financial concerns, and I find myself taking that for granted, something that embaresses me when faced with the needs of my co-workers. One of them broke down in tears just yesterday worrying about how they were going to put food on the table. I've given and lent some money, but also don't want to get into the long-term habit of supporting the people I work with, people that SHOULD be receiving salaries. So what should I do? I know what Dorothy Day would have done... she would have emptied out that savings account in Goshen and cooked up meals for everyone on a daily basis. I'm just not that cool, or giving, or trusting. I struggle with what I really think people of faith are called to do and the daily shortcomings when that call is more than we can handle, or not what we want to hear.

View of the library facing the front door. Looks like Ivonne is straightening up.

Literature section. It's really a great collection.

Ivonne explaining about the global warming

Carolina demonstrates how the ozone layer is like an umbrella over the earth, shielding us from the harmful rays of the sun. I didn't get this on photo, but later, Ivonne cuts a big hole in the umbrella and Carolina sticks her hand through the hole... you can just feel yourself getting skin cancer.

The sixth graders attending the Earth Day talk were floored by this news, and vowed never to pollute the earth again.

I'm not sure why everyone is hugging.

Ivonne, me, and Carolina in front of our April mural, with the children's corner off to the right. I am a giantess.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

I LOVE LIBRARIES TOO! and i didn't realize just how much i loved them until i didn't have one around aka the past year and 1/2 in cambodia.
i'm really glad that you are enjoying your work and teaching again! thanks for writing. i often feel like you, that when i take the time to write these long paragraphs, no one really reads them. well, just so you know i read it all:)

esaner.com said...

Amanda! Give yourself more credit! That was a great post, and certainly worth reading. It makes me wish there was a way I could help with funding. It sounds like a wonderful community treasure, and I'm glad you have the opportunity work there.

Afriqnboy said...

I agree, great post. It is a struggle to decide how much we are called to commit to people or causes. And then the consequences of whatever degree to which we invest ourselves. I've been enjoying you and Andrew's plethora of blog posts recently...what is it, 4 in a week? haha intense.

Eileen Saner, AMBS Librarian said...

Amanda, I'm so glad Eric sent me a link to your post. I love libraries, too. Your work is inspiring. I hope you can keep the doors open and that eventually there will be a sustainable solution.

Eileen Saner

Olivia said...

Wow, this is definitely a tricky situation. The library looks awesome and like such a valuable resource to the community.

Angela said...

Amanda, you inspire me. It sounds like this job, even with its struggles, is extremely life-giving for you and the community. Best of luck as you continue to work and impact the community in such a positive way!