Saturday, May 2, 2009

I like birds

As Amanda mentioned in a previous post I have recently become enamored with -- or obsessed with -- birding. I'm not sure what it is, exactly, but I would not be as fanatical about it if it weren't for Virgil Troyer, MCC Disaster Response Coordinator, and Birder Extraordinaire. Actually, I also owe much thanks to my father-in-law, Ralph Lind, for buying Amanda and I a pair of incredible binoculars; and to my mother-in-law, Brenda Janzen, for gifting me an exhaustive Central American birding book. Thanks! I think what I like about birding is that it's a low-impact, low-equipment hobby that involves lots of reading, research, and careful observation.

I've compiled a really nice list of birds in the last 6 months, which I will not reprint here, but hope that in the next year I can add many more, including the elusive and beautiful Resplendant Quetzal.

Here are a couple of pictures from our team retreat near Lake Yojoa, taken at Finca Las Glorias.

A Ferruginous Pygmy Owl. Virgil and I spent at least half an hour tracking this guy through the woods, listening to his call and trying to answer back. Apparently my imitation was convincing. He flew right up to us, sat on his perch and had a nice long conversation.

The Belted Kingfisher. I took this picture through Virgil's awesome spotting scope. (If you want to get me another optical present, Ralph...)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to my dear sweet nephew. You are such a treasure, my dear.

I loved your bird pictures and the Holy Week pictures were beautiful.

We have been looking at old photos and I found a picture of me trying to give Andrew a haircut when he was about 2 years old. What was I thinking?

Nick is learning to drive, Mark is busy at work, and I holding down the fort.

Much love to you and Amanda and I hope you enjoy your birthday pizza!

kate said...

Happy Birthday Brother! I think, based on the two scraps of bird knowledge in my own brain, that the birds you named are opposite their photographs. And if so, the Ferruginous Pygmy Owl is the coolest living flying contraption I've ever seen! You are a great tracker-hunter now. How is my sister at gathering? Cheers to your 28th. May the year be rich and splendiforous. I love you Dre!

Daniel said...

Greetings from a Fellow birder.
its nice to see that there are more birders in Honduras even if they arent honduran....visit my birding blog will ya

hondubirding.wordpress.com

all my birding adventures (and the birding club ones too) are there

have a nice weekend and as always Good Birding