Sunday, October 25, 2009

Rainy season? Not yet.

The quick political update: talks between Zelaya and Micheletti have so far failed to bring any kind of resolution. Zelaya is still running his government and emitting decrees from the Brazilian embassy (this will be five weeks tomorrow) - which, sidenote, always has me wondering, what kind of bed situation is going on in there? Micheletti seems to be holding out for the elections and trying to get Zelaya and supporters to sign a document stating that his government is legitimate. I have no idea what November elections will bring, but there has been talk both of voting boycotts, and the government forcing people to vote.

One unfortunate bi-product of this mess is the early and sad ending of the public education school-year, after days and weeks and added-up-to months of missed classes. One of my English students, Dayro, stopped by yesterday... he is a senior and will be graduating this coming Saturday, but his highschool isn't holding a graduating ceremony or party or anything. He wasn't even given end-of-the-year exams. Nobody was this year - all students are being automatically passed through to the next grade.

On a more personal note - Andrew and I have been pretty busy lately. Andrew's work continues to step it up another notch every time he seems to get comfortable with something, making him seriously doubt any cultural stereotypes of a more laid-back work environment.

I started another round of English classes, this time adding an intermediate class for about 12 of my past students, which has been really fun. We've graduated to the past tense!!! We can talk about how we felt yesterday! I am trying to be a little more zen-like about my work environment, and not let the interpersonal weirdness and dynamics come home with me - now both of my initial co-workers have been fired, which was a sad and frustrating experience for all of us since there was little to no communication from the board of directors about that decision. My new co-worker is a former board member, very quiet, very male, very... quiet. We are very polite to each other.

The neighborhood news is that firecrackers are IN. Everybody has them. They could go off at any moment.

Our new country representatives (our bosses) arrived a few weeks ago and they are great!!!! And yes, they are probably reading this. But really, they are great. We had a team meeting last weekend at Valle de Angeles which was an absolutely fabulous break from work and the city, complete with a hike, good singing, food that we didn't have to cook, and an espresso machine.

What else is new.... hmmm.... well, I'm pregnant. That's pretty new. Bonus prize for those of you who read all the way to the end! Primero dios, we'll be bringing a little catracho home with us. Please, no curfew jokes.

13 comments:

Afriqnboy said...

"I am trying to...not let the interpersonal weirdness and dynamics come home and to bed with me"

hahahaha looks like you did a pretty good job of that ;) congratulations! felicidades! me alegra bastante!

Board Shanty said...

Yay!!! Yay!!! Still excited. I keep forgetting to turn on my Skype! I want to know how it's going! Exclamation point!

Amanda said...

Okay that is embarrassing. I was referring to my tendency towards insomnia!!! Michael!! I did some editing.

Unknown said...

Congratulations Amanda!! :) When are you due?

esaner.com said...

Congratulations on making it to the past tense!!



Oh, and also on being pregnant.

Olivia said...

YAY!! :)

NutVal Fan said...

I wondered if you had some big announcement coming when you began the third paragraph by saying "On a more personal note - Andrew and I have been pretty busy lately"

Give us a ring if you need any "having a baby in Honduras" advice.

Unknown said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so excited!!!

Davericka said...

Congratulations, Amanda! Looking forward to hearing more details...how you've been feeling, when you're due, etc. Brought back memories of being pregnant with Liliana while in Ecuador. !Hecho en Honduras! Blessings to you both AND the little one growing inside of you.

Karl said...

How wonderful! Blessings to all three of you.

Karl

Brenda Janzen said...

Wow! I hadn't read the latest blogs and comments. So exciting to know the little one is growing and bringing joy already, inspite of all the tension you have been living with. I'm so proud of both of you just going forward in the best possible Spirit(s).
Love you! Mom J

PR office said...

Exciting news! Best wishes with your catrachit@! Very interesting to read Andrew's latest takes on Honduran politics too.

cay496 said...

I was a little behind on reading your blog, but congratulations! I am sure the following year will be very eventful for you. I also enjoyed the stories of the Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses. I think the only North American where I lived was a Mormon, but I never met him.