Saturday, December 20, 2008

And now for the "Big News"...

Apparently I have been very reckless with my writing. I forgot a lesson learned (not just once, or twice, or three times even...) which is this: when you are young and married, you should never speak of "news" or "changes to come" or even, yes, "excitement".... unless you are pregnant. Which, sorry to disappoint, I am not. I foolishly wrote about upcoming changes in my last blog without remembering this important fact, and unfortunately caused more than one person to think our lives were about to get a lot more interesting than they actually are!

We're actually just planning a move: from San Pedro to the capital city Tegucigalpa. We are taking up two other positions with MCC while scaling back what we do as Connecting People coordinators; Andrew will be doing communications writing for an organization called ASJ (Association for a more Just Society) and I'll be working for a community library called Flor de Saber (Flower of Knowledge). Despite some sadness about leaving the church community and friends here in San Pedro, I'm pretty excited about this move and the changes it will bring. We won't be traveling nearly as much, but we'll be able to settle into a community and have Honduran co-workers and speak Spanish all day - all great things. The biggest unknown at this point is what neighborhood we'll live in - unfortunately our jobs are at opposite ends of the city so commuting will be tricky for at least one of us, and Tegucigalpa is renowned for its bad rush-hour traffic. We're planning a house-scouting trip after Christmas and will keep you all updated.

Christmas greetings and blessings to you all!

2 comments:

Moniqua said...

Thats Great! Does this mean you'll be staying in Honduras longer or just finishing out your term in Teguc? I hope the transition goes well.

Karen E. Flores V. said...

Well Amanda, that applies not only to the young and married; but to the young and single. I have had experiences when I use those words,people think that at laaaaassssttt I will get married or at the least, that I have a boyfriend. Dangerous words...

I think I will be visiting you guys in Tegucigalpa. My youngest sister will move there on January to continue her collegue studies. I am planning to make several visits to that city. Blessings...