Thursday, November 15, 2007

Time for my sad face...

When I'm asked how good my Spanish is I usually respond with something non-specific like, "Well, I'm learning more every day," or "I can understand more than I'm able to speak." I am in the fuzzy zone which is somewhere between beginning-intermediate and whatever comes after that, also known as "Level Dangerous."

Level Dangerous involves a lot of reassuring head bobbing that communicates that yes, I understand what you are saying to me even if you're not getting much else in the way of feedback. And, most of the time, I DO understand what you are saying to me. Until I reach Overload. Overload is the state someone in Level Dangerous reaches when they have maxed-out their listening comprehension. This can happen unexpectedly. I have found that I'm more likely to reach overload when I'm in a small group and I'm not the only one expected to listen in Spanish. Constant eye-contact, a friendly smile, and slow reassuring head bobbing is very important when in Overload.

This usually works just fine. Usually. The system breaks down when the speaker strays from friendly, informational, or happy topics and onto other more serious and sometimes even sad territory. This can happen without warning. The other day a woman was telling Andrew and I about how her brother had been married for a long time and was not able to have children. His wife, pregnant with another man's child, eventually left him and went to the states. Up until this point we had been talking about the photos of her cute grandchildren that were posted all around the house, and I was still wearing my happy face. Belatedly, way too far into the sad brother story than was socially appropriate, I realized it was time for my sad face and a slow side to side head bob. I can't wait to be in Level Almost There.

3 comments:

Rebecca Allen said...

Oh, Amanda...how I can sympathize! I'll never forget working on the farm in Cuba and a (male) co-worker asked "Estas casada?" I, so proud that I'd understood his question as "Estas caNsada?", casually shrugged and said, "No, no mucho."

Unknown said...

Man, I remember that level. It seemed to coincide with Level Saying Ridiculous Things and Level Glassy Eyed. Just wait till you get to Level Dreaming in Target Language but Not Understanding Said Dreams. Or are you there already?

BAB said...

I know the head bobbing well. :) Hang in there! I hope it sinks in soon and you realize that your head is no longer bobbing.